Opinions expressed on this site are solely the responsibility of the site's authors and any guest authors whose material is posted here. This site is not authorized or operated by Governor Palin, her staff, or any other candidate or committee.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Going Rogue: Rochester, NY, Part III -- Ready

Reveille

After cleaning up and showering and getting dressed, I checked my iPhone. Governor Palin had published a Facebook Post regarding health care. It was not covered. I launched into action, got the item on Accomplishments, did my Buzz, Digg, Fark, and Delicious, and put aside the laptop.

Not wanting to wait for the condensation to clear off my car, I wiped the driver's side mirror with my hand, turned on the rear defroster and drove with the windows down in the freezing cold. Borders is only two miles from the Day's Inn Henrietta, and my bee-line got me there in two minutes.



Back to Hustling...


I greeted Amy, Ed, Barb and the others. I went back to working the crowd with the business cards and buttons. I met Kristina, Kate, and Rachelle. Within the hour, the rest of my buttons were sold or given to those promised. All I had left was Adrienne's and mine. Another generous soul brought coffee, bagels, and donuts. It was like a huge tailgate party -- just as Governor Palin would Tweet in reference to her next stop. Like earlier, I whiled away the rest of the time reading Going Rogue -- continuing to laugh or cry as the story continued to unfold. The time to 0900 -- the opening of Borders -- flew. I made it to page 105 and stopped.



Wristband Secured...

I got my Blue A wristband and immediately went outside and put on my right wrist. I wanted it there along with the red shirt I now wore -- for Reagan Conservatism. I met Adrienne and gave her the promised button. Now, only the one over my heart remained....




Houston, We Have a Problem....


I alternately went in and out of Borders holing up in the cafe and returning to the camp post just outside the door. While talking with Kristina, her sister Kate, and Rachelle, we heard a commotion outside.

Apparently, the store did not get all 1,000 wristbands. They got 500. The second group of 500 were angry. But they got stickers...they became the overflow group. If Governor Palin had the time after the first 500, the overflow would be taken in. JD Merkel, Rochester Organizer, 2012 Draft Sarah Committee was in that second group. He resigned his fate to Going Bust....

Adrienne and the store's staff had to deal with the crowd. Everyone calmed down, but I did not find her to be in an enviable position at that moment....Adrienne handled it like a skilled professional -- as if she had been doing this all her life.



The Final Hours

The final hours were spent continuing to read Going Rogue, charging devices, going in and out of the store and learning about the structure of the event. A gift box was placed. I took out a business card and chicken-scrawled a message of support. But going into that box, it would get lost.

So, I opted for a greeting card and wrote my message. I emailed a trusted colleague for review. She loved it. I left the card envelope unsealed....The content of my message will remain private; however, I will state that it is based very strongly on the bottom half of Page 8 of Going Rogue.

A Sarah Palin look-alike -- Sharon from PA -- came in. I posed with her:



Then, Adrienne, Kristina, Kate, and myself posed at the book signing table.



 Adrienne Ross


Front: Kate Lazzaro. Rear: Kristina Lazzaro



Ron Devito



The time drew nigh...We all left the bookstore and assumed our new positions to the left of the door...





Going Rogue: Rochester, NY Part I -- Journey

Going Rogue: Rochester, NY Part II -- Camping

Going Rogue: Rochester, NY, Part III -- Ready

Going Rogue, Rochester, NY: Part IV -- Books Signed

Going Rogue, Rochester, NY: Part V -- Egg Attack


Going Rogue: Rochester, NY, Part VI -- Going Home 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment