Opinions expressed on this site are solely the responsibility of the site's authors and any guest authors whose material is posted here. This site is not authorized or operated by Governor Palin, her staff, or any other candidate or committee.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bittersweet SRLC (w/ pictures)

By Adrienne Ross - www.motivationtruth.com











SRLC 2010 is over, leaving me with some sweet memories, leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth. One might say it was bittersweet.

I got stuck in traffic driving to New York City to fly out of state on Wednesday. It was horrendous, and I almost didn't make it. What should have taken about 2 1/2 hours took an extra hour. It was bumper to bumper for that hour, too. I was so rattled by the time I got to LaGuardia, I looked forward to just resting during the flight to St. Louis, Missouri. Once I landed, I was to take a small plane to Cape Girardeau--or so I thought. It turned out to be a toy plane! Ladies and gentlemen, it was a 10 passenger plane, and there were only 3 of us passengers! I'm talking, sitting right there with the pilots, the plane being tossed around because of the wind, and praying to remind myself that God has a plan for me and didn't bring me to Missouri to kill me!

My friend, Kristi King, met me at the airport and took me to her job to see where she works. From there it was on to her parents' house. They fed us well: chicken and dumplings and collard greens. Now, understand: I was raised in New York, but I come from a southern Black family. I didn't know white people could make collard greens, but Mama Earlene "put her foot in" those greens, as they say! They were right up there with my Aunt Mary's collards--and that's saying something! Southern folks can cook--period.

After a few hours there, we went to Kristi's and talked, laughed, prayed, and finally slept. The next morning we made the nine hour drive to New Orleans. I love road trips, and this was no exception. Again, we laughed, talked, sang, and listened to Going Rogue on CD. We had a wonderful time. The whole trip was that way: tons of silly times and tons of serious time--praying and talking.

At the conference, I met some people from the 2012 Draft Sarah Committee, C4P, and Team Sarah. Several times people came up to me and said, "Are you Adrienne Ross? I read your blog" or "I read your work on C4P." My favorite was when I'd hear, "Thank you for all you do for Governor Palin." Palin supporters are always looking out for her.

I can't count the times people told Kristi how much she looks like the governor. Some wanted their picture taken with her. One woman was following behind her to sneak a closer look, just to find out if it was Governor Palin. Now that was interesting! Mind you, Kristi is almost 6 feet tall, and with heels, she was over 6 feet! But they're right; you can't deny the resemblance.

Almost missing my flight was not the only unnerving situation. Somehow my registration lanyard disappeared off my arm and into thin air. I had to beg to get another one. It was time-consuming and utterly ridiculous. I'm glad I finally got one, for it was needed to vote for Governor Palin in the straw poll.

The poll brings me to the bitter part. It is low-down dirty how Mitt Romney and Ron Paul paid people's way to SRLC if they would agree to vote for them. Rather desperate and pathetic, and not just a rumor. I knew well before the conference Romney was doing this because someone I know, a Palin supporter, was offered a free ride if he'd but vote for Romney. Of course, the bribe was declined. My friend would not be bought. Even with the Acorn voting tactics being employed, Governor Palin came in third, which to me equates to first since the ones ahead of her bought many of their votes.

Of all the speakers, and there were some good ones, Governor Palin was the best, most energetic. She discussed energy at length and went into foreign policy issues. Her speech was substantive, passionate--and presidential.

Placed on each seat in the ballroom was Alaskan caribou jerky with a SarahPAC tag. This was very generous and creative of the governor--and yummy, I might add.

Above all else, there was indeed one definite highlight for me, an honor and a blessing--but I'll keep the particulars to myself! :) That's how I roll, y'all!

Late Saturday afternoon, Kristi and I headed out for the long ride back to Missouri. She had decided that the next day she would actually take me herself back to St. Louis for my flight because after seeing the toy airplane, she did not want me to have to get back on it. Praise God for that! Unfortunately, I was in for another nailbiter. We were following the GPS, and it took us on a wild goose chase. By the time I got to the gate, they were already boarding. I was like, oh my goodness...I can't get into Missouri, and I can't get out. What in the world?!
Honestly, I actually wasn't ready to go home, but one must work so one can eat!

I arrived in New York City Sunday after the hour and a half flight. Once retrieving my car, I drove the 2 1/2 hours to get home...and the rest, as they say, is history.

Those few days were filled with sweet moments, laughter, tears even. It also had the bitterness of StrawPollGate. But even that couldn't take away from the significance of the trip. I thank God for the opportunity, and as I always say, "The best is yet to come!"

* Pictures courtesy of Kristi King

No comments:

Post a Comment