Governor Palin entered a brave new world a year ago today, with a leap of faith, turning over her gubernatorial powers to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell. Supporters were simultaneously excited and fearful about what lied ahead. Her enemies chortled "quitter," with glee. Gov. Palin's administration had been bombarded with frivolous ethics complaints and lawsuits, which hamstrung state business.
Dual Rationale: Simple and Brilliant
The dual rationale behind her resignation was as simple as it was brilliant: first, the nonsense would stop under quiet, Transactional Leader Gov. Parnell who would continue Gov. Palin's legacy. Second, free of the Governor's Office, Gov. Palin could better serve our nation and make a bigger impact. Indeed, both objectives have been fulfilled. The complaints did stop, though a few came in after she left office. Gov. Parnell is continuing the Palin legacy.
"With this decision I will be able to fight even harder for you – for what is right and for the truth. And I have never felt that you need a title to do that. So, as we all move forward together, let us vow to keep championing Alaska and to advocate for responsible development and smaller government and freedom."A Year of Accomplishments
When I took the oath to serve you, I promised to steadfastly and doggedly guard the interests of this great state – like that grizzly guards her cubs, as a mother naturally guards her own. I will keep that vow wherever the road may lead.
As a private citizen:
- Gov. Palin shaped and defined the debate on ObamaCare, Cap and Tax, and national security via her Facebook page.
- She endorsed numerous candidates for governor, Senator, and Representative, via Facebook, Twitter; and in many cases campaigned with her endorsed candidates. Even the liberal mainstream media has taken notice of the fact that over 75% of her endorsed candidates won their elections where elections have been held thus far.
- SarahPAC is a political and financial powerhouse.
- She is building political capital and power, which will enable her to re-define the GOP as a Reagan Conservative party and pave the way to a possible 2012 Presidential run.
- Gov. Palin achieved one million supporters on her Facebook page around the time her book tour began and is now closing in on two million. Her Twitter page has over 205,000 followers.
- She has been on a public speaking speaking circuit, which began in Hong Kong and has taken her all over the United States.
- She authored Going Rogue: An American Life, which was Number One on the New York Times Best-Seller's List for six weeks; presided over a three-week long nationwide book tour where supporters camped out in front of book stores for over 24 hours before each event in all kinds of weather. Going Rogue is going paperback on August 24, 2010.
- Gov. Palin is working on a second book: America by Heart : Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag due for release on November 23, 2010.
- She became a Fox News Consultant
- Gov. Palin began a special series: Real American Stories
- She is working on a mini-series: Sarah Palin's Alaska being filmed for TLC.
North to the Future. We look forward with excitement at the journey ahead.
Gov. Palin's Farewell Speech, Part I, Retrieved from PalinTV
Gov. Palin's Farewell Speech, Part II, Retrieved from PalinTV
Complete Text Transcript