Opinions expressed on this site are solely the responsibility of the site's authors and any guest authors whose material is posted here. This site is not authorized or operated by Governor Palin, her staff, or any other candidate or committee.

Friday, July 9, 2010

My Phenomenal Alaska Trip: Part Four: A Post by Conservative Girl with a Voice




Since getting back home to San Diego, the memories of my great trip to Alaska keep getting replayed in my mind. This blog has allowed me the opportunity to share with you, my readers, my passion for politics and writing. This blog also has helped me to record my memories in a diary of sorts. Yes, I can proudly say this blog has become my diary. Since my last entry, I have had the chance to say “goodbye” to many of the seniors at the high school I work at. While many of the kids in today’s society are labeled as “lazy,” I can tell you that for every “lazy” kid, there are five or more kids who work hard. I know it because I have witnessed it this year. I saw many ups and quite a few down this year at the school I work at, but more often than not, the kids I have gotten to know have persevered. A week ago, many of them graduated. I can safely say that, yes, this girl shed a lot of tears (I’m a sap for happy endings). The tears I shed were all happy tears because I know these kids, I mean young men and women, will embark on a world that is ever-changing. To the young men and women of the Class of 2010, I salute you, and I know you will make me proud.

While I have tons of memories about my time in Alaska, it is the memories that I shared with Tracey Porreca that I will remember the most. As the former President of the Valley Republican Women’s club, Tracey is no stranger to politics. She is an amazing woman, wife and mother who, like Sarah, cared about the direction her country was headed and decided to do something about it. Many of you know that I have blogged about Tracey before. I was delighted to finally meet Tracey face-to-face when I traveled to Alaska. Tracey was generous and kind enough to chauffeur us around Alaska during a large part of our trip. We went to a variety of cool places, including souvenir shops and yummy restaurants. Yes, she was even patient enough to go with us to Walmart and “hang out” while my sister and I picked up everything we needed when we first arrived in Alaska. I don’t think she was aware of just how much my sister and I love Walmart- wink, wink. If I had to name my favorite part of my time with Tracey, I would have to say it was our trip to the Matanuska Glacier, about 2 miles North of Wasilla. The drive in itself was gorgeous, and we couldn’t ask for a better day to witness Alaska in all its beauty. It was so much fun to hike to the glacier. I especially enjoyed the “crunch, crunch” sounds from our shoes hitting the ice. And the glacier itself- ahhhh… what can I say, other than it was truly breathtaking and awe inspiring.

I have had the pleasure of getting to know so many amazing people via Twitter and Facebook. One such person I have had the joy of befriending is a girl about my age named Amanda. I got to know Amanda from Twitter because she was a fan of my blog, and we immediately hit it off with our love for pop culture and shopping. It was cool to learn that her dad is Alaska Lieutenant Governor Craig Campbell, who is a pretty cool guy. Amanda was nice enough to set up a lunch date with her, her dad and her wonderful his mom, Anne Marie at Sullivan’s Steak House in downtown Anchorage. Remember how I blog in the last entry that my campaign partner in crime, Camille Friend, was going to meet up with us in Alaska? Well, she arrived in Alaska a couple days before our scheduled lunch, so she was able to attend along with Krisha, Kristina and me. We had a wonderful lunch with the Campbells. Amanda and her parents are the most kind, generous people, and we all had a great time. As a pop culture, political-loving girl, I will take any opportunity I can to talk about these areas. Lt. Gov. Campbell gave me some great insight and awesome advice that I will take with me as I continue down my political journey. When Eddie Burke asked me to help out with his campaign for lieutenant governor, I knew Eddie was running for the right reasons. Like Craig, Eddie is a conservative who will put Alaskans interests above his own. Please visit Eddie’s campaign website and make a donation. His campaign is truly a grassroots effort. I hope each and every one of my readers will visit and donate $5 to the conservative cause. Alaska is so lucky to have a lieutenant governor who truly cares for the people of his state. He truly is the REAL DEAL! He may have decided against running for lieutenant governor, but I know God has big plans for him.

As my phenomenal trip began to wind down to a close, it was fun to end my trip on a high note. How else would you want to spend your final day in Alaska other than by spending the day participating in a local Alaskan parade? Krisha, Camille, Kristina and I had the pleasure of walking with Eddie Burke and some members of his amazing family in the Colony Days Parade in Palmer, AK. It was so much fun getting out and talking to people. Eddie had a great time talking to the people and listening to their concerns. Eddie really has a way with people, and people really seem to enjoy the ideas he has on how help Alaska. You wouldn’t believe how many people I repeatedly said how grateful they were to Eddie for running and spreading the common sense conservative message. I also had the chance to see Sarah’s mom, Sally, again while walking down the parade route. I went over, said “hello” and gave her a great, big hug. We chatted with her and another great woman, Carol Ryan, for a little bit before heading back out to wrap up the parade route.

Krisha and my flight was not until later that evening, so before we said goodbye to Eddie and his family, Eddie and his awesome wife, Linda, treated us to lunch. The Burke family did so much for us during our stay in Alaska, and they have become “family” to Krisha and me. Whether or not you agree with Eddie politically, you have to at least admit that he and his family are some of the nicest people that you will ever meet. Right now, I call him a great friend, but I hope very soon to be calling him Lieutenant Governor Burke. You can help this happen by donating to his campaign today!!!

After saying goodbye to Eddie and his family, we stopped by Chuck and Sally’s (Sarah’s parents) house to say goodbye. I know many of you have seen their house on TV during the election, but that does not give it the justice it deserves. Their house has to be one of the coolest houses I have ever been to, and I could sense just how much fun the grandkids must have when they come over. It is like a museum- scratch that. It is even cooler than a museum, and it doesn't hurt that they have the cutest puppy you will ever lay your eyes upon. Now, the first time I visited them during my stay, Chuck was nice enough to give us an amazing tour. As he showed us around, he took the time to show us the various artifacts he and the family had collected over the years. He also showed a lot of cool family photos and maps of different parts of Alaska that he and the family had been lucky enough to visit. As I listened to him tell us about his travels and the different things he had collected, I could see why he was such an awesome science teacher, and I made the point to tell him this. It was a privilege to get to spend time with both him and Sally. They are truly great people. It makes me sick whenever I hear the media attack Sarah and her family. How dare anyone personally attack such a great group of people? How dare anyone attack a group of people who they have not taken the time to get to know? I must say, that, after visiting and spending time with members of Sarah’s family, my time spent with them makes me want to stick up for Sarah and her family even more. These are great people, real people who value honesty and integrity- two traits that those who attack them could learn a thing or two about. I even got a keepsake memento from the Heaths that took back with me to San Diego, and I will cherish it forever. What great people!!! In fact, all of those I met while in Alaska were great people. I believe many of us in the lower 48 could learn a thing or two from Alaskans. There is just something so refreshing and so authentic about our neighbors to the North.

Thank you, Alaska, and thank you, God, for giving this Conservative Girl with a Voice an unforgettable trip to the Last Frontier, and for leaving me wanting more!!!

(Click here to visit Conservative Girl with a voice and become a follower. Follow me on Twitter @rachellefriberg.)

No comments:

Post a Comment