Opinions expressed on this site are solely the responsibility of the site's authors and any guest authors whose material is posted here. This site is not authorized or operated by Governor Palin, her staff, or any other candidate or committee.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Happy birthday Tripp

One year ago, Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston was born. Like most teenagers Bristol’s life radically changed that day. She became the mother of a beautiful baby boy and as she stated in People Magazine in June 2009, her life now became second, Tripp is her number one priority.

www,people.com

Picture from June 1, 2009 People Magazine

Not only did Bristol become a mother, but she also saw this is an opportunity to speak out against teen pregnancy. She became an advocate with the Candies Foundation and even held an interview with Greta Van Susteren on the importance of waiting before becoming sexually active. She wants to help other young women understand the hardships they will face as teenage mothers.
www.gretawire.comThis is picture from Greta Van Susteren’s interview with Bristol.

I applaud Bristol for stepping up and taking a less than ideal situation and turning it into a life lesson for others. I was impressed with Bristol for taking the bull by the horns and speaking out. After I watched her interview with Greta I wrote a letter to Bristol to express my support. As the mother of a teenage son and as someone who works closely with high school students, I wanted to let Bristol know that she is making a difference. I have on occasion used the picture of Gov. Palin and I that hangs in my office as a talking point when students come to see me. To my surprise, a lot of the girls also bring Bristol into our conversations. I told Bristol how she is bringing attention to a situation that many would like to sweep under the rug. It shows these young girls that they have options, especially the option to choose life! A few weeks after I sent my letter, I received a response from Bristol. This shows that she is her mother’s daugther and that she too is humbled by her experience.

Front of card from Bristol

Front of card from Bristol

Note from Bristol

Note from Bristol

So today I would like to wish Tripp a very happy first birthday! And to Bristol, please keep up the good work. There will always be mountains that you will have to climb in life but you know that you must keep moving forward. Good luck and best wishes!

This is a song, The Climb, by Miley Cyrus. I am by no means a Miley fan, however, I feel that this song embodies the spirit of Bristol Palin and the uphill climb she will have at times as a young mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment